Monday, June 6, 2011

chocolate chip cake mix cookies

oh. my. goodness.

First of all, I'm sorry for my lack of posts. You see, two weeks ago my entire family decided to share the stomach bug. How thoughtful! Also, it is the end of the school year... this Friday is the last day! So, I've been busy preparing report cards, cleaning my room, organizing worksheets, picking out movies to watch, etc. It seemed as if I'd never do another post again... until tonight.

Was I planning on blogging about these cookies? No. In fact, I figured they would be something quick and easy to try but nothing to write home about. But, after the reaction of my husband, I figured I needed to share this recipe with you all. He is obsessed... and has already eaten 3.

You will not even believe how quick, easy and delicious these are. I found a recipe online and changed just a few things (I left out brown sugar, used a moist cake mix and went for mini chips instead of regular). I cannot find the recipe I used because I clicked on it from Pintrest on my phone... so I apologize for that! But, here is my adaptation:

Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies


1 box yellow cake mix {I used Betty Crocker's super moist}
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened salted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 package (~2 cups) mini chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350. Mix the cake mix, butter, eggs, and vanilla all together using an electric mixer. {I used a hand mixer and it got kind of difficult because the batter is very sticky, but it's not impossible. Next time I'll use the countertop mixer.} Then, fold in your chocolate chips using a spoon or spatula. Spoon your dough onto a cookie sheet {I use stoneware, but if you use metal, you may want to consider greasing it or putting down parchment paper.} Bake for 8-12 minutes {I waited until mine had a little golden color at the top to take them out.}


These cookies took less than an hour from start to finish to make 30+ cookies. I started off making larger cookies and then switched to smaller, more bite size.

The reason Ford kept going back for more? It was definitely the inside...


The cookies are very soft and chewy and by putting mini chips in them, they have more chocolate in them than if you used the regular size chip.

Just a final note, these cookies do NOT look like they are baking when they are first in the oven. After the first batch baked for close to 8 minutes, I checked on them and was so confused as to why they were still in balls. Finally, around the 8 minute mark, they started to take on a cookie shape, but they are still very fluffy, even when they are finished {I took them out around 12 minutes, but it will vary by oven.}

I am off to go put these in a container for Ford to take to work. I do not need these sitting around! In fact, just thinking about them now makes me want to go work out.

Let me know if you try making these and how much you love them... :)

3 comments:

  1. Mimi gave me a recipe like this for lemon cookies and they were heavenly!!! Can't wait to try chocolate chip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know how much I love them once I have some to try.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made them this afternoon! Cooling as I type.... :) I have a feeling Grant will love them!

    ReplyDelete