Tuesday, May 17, 2011

meet corky {and my other quirks}



First things first, the reason behind this post is simple: I was given a "Stylish Blog Award" by my sweet friend Kim of Grin and "Barrett" {Click on the name to go check out her blog}. Kim and I grew up in church together and I absolutely love reading her blog. It is a peek inside her life and the things she enjoys doing; I especially love the posts where she talks about different products/recipes that she has tried. She is extremely domestic and such an inspiration to me!

The "rules" of this blog award are as follows:

1. Link back to the blog that gave you the award {see above}.

2. Share seven things about myself that you may not know {here it goes...}.


1. My husband and I have been dating since senior year of high school, but I have known him since middle school. Ford and I have completely different hobbies/interests, but somehow it works. He is always supportive of my painting and crafting and is always willing to lend a helping hand {think: putting wire on the back of the growth charts} but he'd much prefer to be outdoors rock climbing or camping. Just last weekend I sent him to Utah for a three-day trip with his best friends for his birthday.


2. Ford and I first started dating two weeks before Valentine's Day (talk about pressure- especially in high school!) so he took me to Build-a-Bear and we made a little stuffed dog that we named Corky. If you've ever been to Build-a-Bear, you know that you put a heart in the animal that you stuff. Well, Corky has two hearts, a red and white plaid one that I chose and a plain red one that Ford chose. Corky can always be found sitting on our bed with all the other pillows. We refer to him as our "love child." Ha!


3. Despite my love for creating artwork, our home has practically nothing on the walls. I have my bridal portrait in the dining room and a magnetic board in the kitchen, and that is it. You'd think I'd at least frame engagement/wedding pictures, but honestly I haven't had a chance. I'm constantly making things for other people and I would not have it any other way.

4. Speaking of my home, my favorite piece of furniture is our ottoman. It's probably my favorite because it's the first piece that we got together after getting married. I love the bold floral pattern and the bright colors. Not to mention, that awesome tray you see on top of it is from the lovely and talented Lydia of Vintage 2 Vogue. Love my sweet friend and wish she didn't live so far away.


5. I always have to make sure things are "perfect." It usually takes me two or three times to get the hang of something that I am doing. Typically, I don't post my first projects, but below you will see a picture of my first polka-dotted cookie back from the beginning of April that ended up being thrown out because I thought the icing was too bubbly. Also, the first time I made magnets I tried to paint them and the glaze was bubbly {I'm sensing a theme with the bubbles...}. Finally, at Wine & Design last week with Mary English, we painted the NC State University bell tower. Believe it or not, it was one of my first times painting a "real" object-- I'm not a fan. I'd rather do cutesy over real anyday.


6. I can make those bows you buy by the bag full at Christmas time. I even made one today. I made them out of magazine paper when I was babysitting a couple of months ago, but I wanted to see how it would work with just regular construction paper. I think it's pretty cute, but I may step it up a notch and try it with fabric before posting a "how-to."


7. I'm in the process of making cookies for Ford to take to work tomorrow. I have the worst habit of making dough and then forgetting about it until it's too late to use it. I also have an awful habit of eating my buttercream icing with a spoon... but that's another story. One thing you may have noticed when I post pictures of my cookies is that I bake them on aluminum foil. Is it some super awesome secret to make your cookies more delicious? No. In fact, they taste a thousand times better when baked directly on the stoneware... I'd just prefer less clean up :)


Last but not least, I'm awarding the "Stylish Blog Award" to the following blogs...

Side note: I realize this is a random post, and it's been over a week since I posted last, but we had end of grade testing and I've been exhausted! Luckily, I've had a few orders lately so I'm in the process of making personalized magnets, a growth chart, a framed silhouette, and cupcakes. All different projects, but I love being able to create the one-of-a-kind gifts for you to give and receive. I can't wait to post them as I finish them up!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post dear :) I love love love your blog Sarah and really want to learn how to do the bows out of paper and try out your yummy cookie recipe too! Hope you have a great end to the school year, man I wish I was a teacher !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so sorry I haven't written to you since I've gotten my magnets (and I def got them like 2 weeks ago!). I LOVE THEM! So so cute. They were the first magnets to go on our fridge (we moved a few weeks ago). Thank you so so much.

    ReplyDelete