Sunday, May 8, 2011

mother's day double doozies


Ever since I can remember (back when North Hills was an actual indoor shopping mall), my mom would take me and my sister to get Double Doozies from Great American Cookie Company when we would go shopping with her. Now, I think I can say that we all prefer Mrs. Field's cookies, but if given the chance we all will still get a "Cookie Sandwich" (as Mrs. Field's calls it) when we are at the mall. Now, though, we don't get it every time and if/when we do, we definitely split it.

Well, in honor of Mother's Day, I decided to make some homemade double doozies to share with my mom (and Ford's mom too). Despite my sister not being a mom, I could not leave her out as she always begs to be my taste-tester.

It was SO easy (not that I thought putting icing in between cookies would be difficult, I just never did it before). Considering it costs close to $4 for one double doozie at the mall, I think this was recreated just as well and I was able to make 7 large and 9 small cookie sandwiches for less than $15. Score! All you need are your favorite chocolate chip cookie and vanilla buttercream icing recipes. If you don't have a favorite, look on Martha Stewart's website. I love her recipes.

So, first of all, I made my chocolate chip cookie dough, formed it into a log, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and put it in the refrigerator to chill. After a couple of hours, I pulled it out and started cutting.


I shaped my cookies even after I cut them because I wanted them to be as round as possible. After they finished baking, I pulled them out to cool...



A hint and a warning: I put my cookies (and cupcakes, for that matter) in the refrigerator to cool a little bit faster if I need to get the icing on them quicker. However, Be super careful if you put multiple cookies in the refrigerator and try to carry them all on the aluminum foil at once. I dumped a whole tray of cookies today doing that... ugh!

Finally, put the buttercream frosting (you can make this while the cookies are baking, the night before, etc... it only takes minutes to make regardless of the recipe you choose). in between the two cookies. To get a good thickness, I pipe mine on the cookie.


Put the cookies together and you are all finished! Wrap them up to give away or enjoy for yourself. 




3 comments: