Monday, July 4, 2011

painted cookies

We just got back in town from a whirlwind trip to Kentucky for Ford's mom's family reunion. Everyone gets together once a year for three days to hang out, play golf, eat lots of food and enjoy one another's company.

This year, I commissioned Ashley {Award Inspirations} to make me two dozen square sugar cookies topped with lemon flavored royal icing to take to the reunion. My request was a simple one because I had big plans to paint the cookies with food coloring. I was not sure that I'd be able to make the cookies myself in time to let the icing harden before I could paint them {I'm not the most patient person ever}, so she graciously agreed.

Here's how they turned out...


On all twenty-four cookies, I painted different designs, pictures, and variations of "Pryor Reunion 2011."

The hardest part was the fact that when I researched how to paint on royal icing, I found that most use a liner brush {it is very small and thin} but I typically always use larger brushes, so even holding the smaller brush took some getting used to. I ended up getting three different brushes and I'm sure you can tell from the picture when I would use a liner brush and when I would use a thicker brush.

If you are interested in painting on cookies, this is what you need:

  • sugar cookies with royal icing {hardened over night}
  • AmeriColor gel food colors
  • new paintbrushes
  • water {optional}



Squeeze the AmeriColor gel onto a paper plate or new plastic paint tray. Add just a drop or two of water to the gel {optional} to create a watercolor-like palate. Then paint, cleaning your brush in a cup of water in between each different color you use.

It's really very simple and a fun alternative to painting on canvas. I think it would be great for kids to do as well. Just a sidenote though: while you can freeze sugar cookies and royal icing, I do not recommend freezing the painted cookies because the colors tend to run after you take them out of the freezer and they have collected moisture.

Of course, since I didn't actually bake the painted cookies, I felt like I needed to live up to my new last name and bake some homemade cupcakes to take to the reunion as well.


Almost all of the six dozen mini cupcakes made it to Kentucky, but of course my aunt and uncle had to taste-approve them when we stopped at their house during our trip :)

I made double chocolate chip cupcakes with vanilla buttercream icing this time, but during the ten hour car ride I had the chance to sketch out a few new recipes that I am very anxious to try out this week.

Overall, it was a great weekend, even if it went by too fast. We had a great time and are probably going to need to go on sugar-detox for the next month... Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment