Tuesday, April 5, 2011

modern silhouette

Remember in kindergarten when your teacher's assistant sat you down in front of the projector, traced your profile on black paper, you glued it on to white paper, someone laminated it and finally you gave it to your mom for mother's day? Okay, maybe that wasn't everyone's history with silhouettes, but it sure was mine.

That silhouette is probably somewhere in a box underneath my bed at my parent's house. I'm not too interested in going and digging it out-- but maybe someday! For now, I'm working on making some more modern wall art using the silhouetting technique. I've made one as practice... I'll be changing some things for the future, but look at what I did in just an hour or so...








I did this to see if I even liked the outcome at all, it was not a final project. I would love to find oval frames to put the silhouettes in and possibly distress the frames-- another project for another day! I did not even glue down the silhouette here, just one stick of tape on the back. Overall, I think it turned out cute for a first try. I will definitely be working on these in the weeks to come. I think they are great, personalized art for the walls when you have kids. Imagine if you had multiple kids and you had them all backed on different, coordinating papers hanging in a bonus room? I think they would give any room just the right touch of personality. 

Oh, also, on a side note... I did try to do a silhouette of my sister's dog. However, you really have to have JUST the right profile view of the animal. Otherwise, you can't see it's nose and it looks like a big fluff ball :) Just a tip... hope it helps!

3 comments:

  1. That's just adorable. And is it wrong that I'd LOVE to see a silhouette of Murphy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha okay, because you asked.. that will be tonight's post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so... jennifer never got online to resend me the good profile pic of murphy... but as soon as i get it (the only one i saved for some reason is the one that looks like a big fluff ball, as stated in the post) i will post his silhouette

    ReplyDelete