Thursday, April 7, 2011

past projects

I was at babysitting tonight... which is weird to say because as Tilley puts it, I'm more like the "older sister who went away to college and comes back to hang out." I love my girls!

In lieu of a new project for tonight's post, I thought I would share with you some projects I've done in the past and given my girls as gifts. They are my favorite people to give to because they love WHATEVER you give them. Also, they are all super girly and I love making their gifts in the bright colors they adore.

Caboodle:



I did the caboodle for Tilley's birthday one year. I filled it with lip glosses, bubble bath, a loofah, etc. As you can see from the "inside view" she still uses it today. Only problem is that the little plastic piece that locks it shut broke, but I view that as a sign of heavy usage-- so it's a good thing, right?!

Painted Initials:

I did one of these for each of the girls. I did a black bow simply because I wrote in black paint pen... I had to match it up! If I were to make these again, I would do a white paint pen with a white bow. I just didn't have either one of those handy at the time.

Painted Corkboards:

I absolutely adored these after I was finished with them. I made a total of four (the other letters are "w" and "m"). Tiffany put these up in the playroom and not only do they add color, but they are functional, too!

Personalized Wall Art:


As I've mentioned before, painting canvas is one of my all time favorite hobbies. There are endless possibilities! In order to get the polka dots perfect, I used wax paper templates. For this canvas, I used a gloss top coat spray to prevent discoloration or other damage. For the door dec canvases that I do, I put on a matte spray that prevents UV rays from damaging the colors and is moisture resistant for those rainy days.

Chore Charts:


Okay, I have to admit that this particular project was NOT all my doing. When I was at their house one night, I was flipping through some family magazine. In it were instructions for a magnetic chore chart. Well, I showed Tiffany (who had been just printing chore charts each week) and she went out, bought the magnetic boards, wooden flowers & magnets. She painted the background of the magnets and I wrote on both the chart and the magnets. I'm including this here because I still think it's such a great idea. It's more like functional art than it is a boring old chore chart!

Well, there you have it. Some of my many projects that I've done for my favorite girls over the past eight years. Remember to keep it creative with the gifts that you give. You can always add your own personal touch to even the most streamline gift and it instantly makes it a favorite (for kids AND adults alike).




2 comments:

  1. love it all, especially the initial with the scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you just let me know what you want me to make that sweet baby of yours :)

    ReplyDelete